Chocolate MuffinsYield: 6 XL muffins or 12-15 M muffins.
1 cup (220 g) sugar
1 cup (110 g) all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2/3 cup (160 ml) milk
2/3 cup (150 g) butter
4 oz (120 g) semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F (Gas mark 4 or 180 deg C).
- Grease 6 extra large muffin tins or cups (paper muffin bake cups are recommended) or 12-15 medium cups.
- Beat the eggs with sugar, mix with flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, vanilla and milk.
- Fold in the melted butter.
- Add chocolate chips; coat them with flour before mixing into the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees until a until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes for XL muffins, about 20 minutes for medium size muffins.
- If you wish to use less saturated fat, try substituting ½ the butter with a good quality vegetable oil.
- If you wish a strong chocolate flavor you can add 1-2 more tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- You may add vanilla or white chocolate chips instead or regular ones.
- If you want lean muffins you may use 1+½ cup flour and ½ cup of butter instead of the amounts given in the recipe, and in addition add ½ teaspoon of salt (suggested by Daphne Tipton, January 2009).
- Chocolate chips should be added the last five mins so it will just stay on top of the muffins, and if you put sweetened coacoa it tastes better (suggested by Justin, March 2009).